ST JOHN'S WORT AND THEIR COUSINS, 

ST. ANDREWS CROSS AND DWARF ST. JOHN'S WORT.

by Cinny Rowe

St. John's Wort family (Hypericaceae)

Symbolism: Protection, Rebirth, Cheerfulness, and Inspiration


Medicinal uses of St. John Wort St John’s Wort: One of the most common medicinal herbs in the world, St John’s Wort is best known as an all-around “feel good” plant. It’s a mood stabilizer and enhancer that has been used for centuries to alleviate depression and melancholy. St John’s Wort can also reduce symptoms of anxiety and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD).

When smoked (dry herb), St John’s Wort acts as a mood-elevating sedative, erasing signs of tension throughout the body. It can also be made into a tea, salve, and tonic. There are many other ways St. John's Wort can be used.

John's wort is not recommended for pregnant or nursing women, children, or people with bipolar disorder, or liver or kidney disease. Always consult a doctor or pharmacist for advice.

Additional information about St. John's Wort may be used for nerve pain (neuralgia), anxiety, and tension. It may also aid in weakness, stress, irritability, and sleeping issues (insomnia). It's also claimed to ease the pain due to some conditions. These include sciatica, rheumatoid arthritis, and menstruation. Source UMC.Rochester.Education Encyclopedia 


7/31/2021 - Today on this hot and humid day I decided to head out on the nature trail and look for St. John's Wort. The sciatic nerve in my back has been giving me problems lately 😒 which was my motivation to make a pain-healing salve. Following my intuition was on point! 

There was a big surprise waiting for me once I reached my destination.  I found all 3 geniuses of St. John's Wort (below) within the same area! 

St. John's Wort (Hypericum Perforatum)


St Andrew's Cross (Hypericum Hypericoides) can be identified by its X or Cross shape flowers. This genius has the same benefits as our St. John Wort (Hypericum Perforatum) but she's a little less potent.







Dwarf St. John's Wort (Hypericum mutilum) So cute and dainty aren't they?  ❤


Ok, so this is what I did with my booty..lol 😂

I added the St John's Wort flowers and leaves to a mixture of dried Arnica flowers and a few sprigs of Self Heal that I have growing on the front porch to create a pain rub salve. 


Here we have the Arnica Flowers & Self Heal aka All Heal plant blended together. 


I am doing a slow infuse of the herbs along with oils in a warm spot for 6 weeks before use. Once complete I will add the finished product for you to review! 

Would you be interested in learning how to make an oil infusion salve for your personal use? 

Leave a comment below and let me know. 

Perhaps I will create a class on Eventbrite teaching you how to do this! 

I hope you've enjoyed this article. We would love to hear from you. Leave a comment below and share it with your friends and family. Peace & Love to ALL


I AM NOT an herbalist. I am only someone who has loved nature since childhood and cannot seem to stay out of the woods looking for unknown and known plants☺

I dedicate countless hours of research and study to bring you the best information about nature’s healing medicinal plants.

About the writer: Cinny Rowe is a professional psychic, medium, empath who lives in Georgia. For more information check out her services Cinny


All photos are property of Cinny Rowe

Comments